Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Why Nothing Hapens

People possess a very remarkable power: they can act, in the many numbers that there are, to solve a problem. There are many severe, immediate, and very present problems, and people do react to them. They can reacte in very strange or dangerous ways, and cause much destruction, but they can also make things far better.

The effect diminishes with the failing force of the evil. The small problems that face the world are not met with the force of the whole human race. However, the appearance and existence of evil are very different things. Some of the worst of the worlds problems are simply too distant to be seen. Then there are those that are clouded by the very experiences of those who face them.

This would not be such a damaging effect if not for the very slow moving spirit of the human race. It is one very large entity, too large to adjust quickly. An individual may change quickly, but the whole of the human race is unmoving except but slowly. And so in the absence of a direct threat, people do not respond.

One possible solution to this would be to conjure up a direct threat and motive people to action. Another would be to draw upon people's sense of loyalty and patriotism. But such insentives can be horribly misdirected. They would more appropriately remain no more than part of the human race that is, and not the part that wills or does.

There is another hope, and that is in the tendency of people to immitate eachother. If people can be accostomed to acting at the persistent instead of the threatening problems, it may be possible, if not to change human nature, to change the context in which it lies.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definately be going for the third option.

I would add to it something like "pay it forward" with actual deeds. Things like healing the heart are real as well so they should be added.

You got to let the whole thing go like a wildfire and should be mixed with physical transformation as well...

Hey, how can I email you? I've been seeing your posts on Christian Conservative...

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse me I meant the second option. There was only two in total!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Owen said...

I like the last option too. This is were it matters, though, what is the 'wildfire'?

You can email me at ellbur_k_a@fastmail.fm or at ellbur@gmail.com

7:28 AM  
Blogger Owen said...

Sorry that I don't put these in the Haloscan comment stuff, but I have had a silly preferrence to be anonymous. (I should probably change that)

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very deep

7:37 PM  
Blogger LittleOrangeFox said...

Ellbur! Are you communist Ellbur I used to know along time ago or just a different person with the same name

7:13 PM  
Blogger Owen said...

Little Orange Fox!!
Yes, I am the same Ellbur.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Michael Gallaugher said...

Ellbur - It's been a long time. It appears that your blogging activity has met a stalemate for which I'm sorry to see. Mine has also been reduced somewhat, although I don't forget the friends I've made and the dialogue my efforts have produced. You can email me at michael.gallaugher@comcast.net and let me know how you're doing. I would like that very much, I do miss you. Get in touch - I'd like to talk with you about stuff and catch up. My deepest respects to you.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home